This salad can be made with any vegetables you have on hand in place of the peas, corn, and carrots– just be sure to cut them into small pieces to blend well with the pasta.
- 8 oz. small pasta (kamut orzo or letters for kids, small rice shells or orzo if you eat wheat)
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 8 oz. mushrooms quartered
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup finely chopped toasted walnuts, optional
- 3 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. Olive oil
- 2 tsp. whole-grain mustard
- 1 ½ tsp. maple syrup
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse under cold water, and drain. Set aside.
- Coat nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and place over medium heat. Add shallots, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until shallots are soft. Raise heat to medium-high, stir in mushrooms, and cook 5 minutes. Add corn and peas, and cook 3 to 4 minutes more. Stir in carrots, season with salt and pepper, and remove from heat.
To make Vinaigrette: Whisk together all ingredients in small bowl until emulsified. Place pasta, vegetables, and vinaigrette in large bowl, and stir to combine. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts, if desired. Can be eaten warm or cold.