- 2 ¼ cups 1% fat milk or soy milk
- ½ cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Raspberries (opt)
- Shaved chocolate (opt)
- In heavy medium saucepan, combine 2 cups milk, ¼ cup sugar, and salt; bring to a boil.
- In medium bowl, mix cornstarch, cocoa and remaining ¼ cup sugar.
- Whisk in remaining ¼ cup milk until smooth.
- Whisk hot milk mixture into bowl and return to saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
In small bowl, beat egg with fork. Whisk 1 cup hot mixture into egg, then whisk back into hot mixture. Cook, stirring, over medium-low heat, without boiling, 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla.
Pour pudding into serving glasses. To prevent skin from forming, place sheets of wax paper directly on surface of pudding. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 2 hours. If desire, top with raspberries and shaved chocolate just before serving.