(Originally from Reader’s Digest, adapted by Sarah Tanner)
- ½ c.honey/maple syrup
- ½ c. natural soy milk
- 1 egg (or ¼ cup flax egg or 1 egg replacer)
- 3 Tbsp. Canola oil or unsweetened applesauce
- 1¼ c. spelt flour (or Kamut or any flour)
- ¾ c. ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1c. pureed very ripe bananas (or a little more, depending on moistness)
- Preheat oven to 350oF. Coat an 8×4 in. loaf pan with canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine the maple syrup, soy milk, egg and oil. Whisk until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to mix. Add to the liquid ingredients. Stir until just blended; do not over mix. Add the bananas and stir to mix.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the pan to a wire rack and let the bread cool slightly. While it is still warm turn the bread out of the pan and serve.
Yield: 10 slices